The Scrap Exchange has received many mentions in the press and on the web over it’s 20+ year history. Here are just a few of our favorites!
- WRAL’s Tar Heel Traveler, features a story on the history and mission of The Scrap Exchange “Trash is treasure at Durham Scrap Exchange,” November 2017
- Durham Herald Sun, mention in feature article “Scrap Exchange exhibit envisions another kind of renaissance” highlighting artifacts found in the time capsule at the former Center Theater, January 2017
- Indy Week, Article highlighted The Scrap Exchange artist-in-residence, Jean Michel Dissake and his upcoming show Cameroun: L’Élan Vital , March 2017
- Durham Herald Sun, mention in feature article “Everything is Linked” an exhibit by artist-in-residence Jean Michel Dissake, March 2017
- The editorial board of Durham Herald Sun speaks on The Scrap Exchange’s efforts in “Reviving Lakewood” April 2017
- The Herald Sun, mention in feature article “Scrap Exchange seeking to finish leasing of Lakewood building“, April 2017
- ABC11.com featured The Scrap Exchange in a video on a “Durham Shopping Center on Verge of Major Revitalization“, April 2017
- Indy Week features an Op-Ed post from our Executive Director, Ann Woodward, on “Revitalization Without Gentrification: The Scrap Exchange in Durham’s Lakewood Neighborhood“, April 2017
- Durham Herald Sun, mention in feature article about greatest art exhibits in 2015, January 2016.
Ten exhibits that made 2015 a vibrant visual arts year
- Triad City Beat, mention in feature article about plans for new nonprofit for waste diversion in Greensboro, January 2016.
Nonprofit would divert waste stream to artists, locals
- News and Observer, mention in news article about famous Durham doll, February 2016.
Dahlia, The Durham Doll
- Durham Herald Sun, feature news article about The Scrap Exchange expansion plans, February 2016.
Scrap Exchange aims to create Lakewood district centered around reuse
- The Atlantic, mentioned in business article about Durham’s economy and gentrification, March 2016.
The Downside of Durham’s Rebirth
- News and Observer, Asides: News of Triangle arts, in brief; “Recycled into art”.
Asides: News of Triangle arts, in brief
- News and Observer, feature article on reuse revolution and Scrap Exchange mission, January 2015
Second Time’s the Charm
- Durham Herald Sun, feature article of Samedi Gras, February 2015.
START THE PARTY: Scrap Ex, Bull City gear up for Mardi Gras
- Durham Herald Sun, column on “Warmed Over Sue Realism” exhibit.
Blue Greenberg: New connections at The Scrap Exchange
- News and Observer, mention in Home & Garden article on reuse materials.
Salvage is at root of this garden
- The Charlotte Observer, mention in SciTech article about an innovation and creation event, October 2015.
Discovery Place celebrates innovation at ‘maker fair’
- News and Observer, mention in Fashion article about artistic inspiration for designer Whitney Robinson of Freshly Given, November 2015.
Emerging Design: Freshly Given designer finds joy in creating
- The Durham Voice, Swap-O-Rama-Rama article, February 2014
Swap-O-Rama-Rama highlights Scrap Exchange year of growth
- Durham Herald Sun, Move to Lakewood article, July 2014
Scrap Exchange sets date for move
- Triangle Business Journal, Move to Lakewood article, July 2014
Durham’s Scrap Exchange readies for new home
- Durham News, Move to Lakewood article, August 2014
Scrap Exchange opens doors to new home Saturday
- Durham Magazine, Move to Lakewood article, August 2014
Moving The Scrap
- Durham Herald Sun, Move to Lakewood article, August 2014
3rd Time the Charm
- Durham Voice, Move to Lakewood article, September 2014
Scrap Exchange: home at last
- Indy Week, Article about Scrap Exchange as economic catalyst in Lakewood, October 2014
The Scrap Exchange and possibility
- News and Observer, Grand Opening article, October 2014
Scrap Exchange celebrates its new Durham location
- Clarion Content, Grand Opening article, October 2014
The Scrap Exchange Grand Opening is Sunday
- Durham Herald Sun, article on Smashfest, November 2014
Participants relieve stress, create art at Scrap Exchange’s Smashfest
- News and Observer, article on Smashfest, November 2014
Durham’s Smashfest helps relieve stress, strike a blow against consumerism
- Durham Herald Sun, profile of Cameron Gallery, November 2014
Remaking art at The Scrap Exchange
- Clarion Content, review of When I Lose My Grip exhibit, November 2014
Anna Wallace, When I Lose My Grip
- Durham Herald Sun, Cameron Gallery cited in year-end review of regional art scene by Blue Greenberg, December 2014
Blue Greenberg: The 10 best exhibitions of 2014
- Durham Herald Sun, article about Brew Durham, May, 2013
A taste of home, brewed with love
- Triangle Downtowner Magazine, Youtube video interview with Executive Director Ann Woodward
Link to Video
- Durham Herald Sun, Feature preview article of Signed, Sealed, Delivered, August 2013
Community of Correspondence
- Herald Sun, Blue Greenberg’s review of “Signed, Sealed, Delivered” exhibit, August, 2013
At Scrap Exchange, art as pastime
- The Daily Tarheel, article on Signed, Sealed, Delivered exhibit, August 2013
Durham gallery creates art out of worldwide mail
- Stir Crazy Mom’s Guide to the Triangle, blog review, August 2013
Throwback Thursday: The Scrap Exchange
- TheBoredZombie.com, blog review, August 2013
The Sunday Geekery: Durham’s Scrap Exchange
- Finding Away: The Trash Blog, blog review, September 2013
Romanced by Reuse
- Durham Herald Sun, Signed, Sealed, Delivered named in Top 10 exhibits of the year, December 2013
Blue Greenberg: 10 Best Exhibitions in 2013
- Apartment Therapy website, November 2008
The Scrap Exchange
- New York Times, June 2009
36 Hours in Research Triangle, N.C.
- Oprah Magazine, February 2011
Where to Get Rid of Anything
- Indy Week, Indies Arts Awards article, July 2011
Art and environment intersect at The Scrap Exchange
- Carpe Durham, blog review, July 2012
The Scrap Exchange
- Durham Herald Sun, Legacy Of Thrift named in Top 11 exhibits of the year, December 2012
The 11 best Triangle art exhibits of 2012