“Signed, Sealed, Delivered”
a Mail Art Exhibit at The Scrap Exchange
August 16 – September 14, 2013
The Scrap Exchange is seeking artists to participate in an upcoming exhibit featuring mail art. Mail art (also known as postal art and correspondence art) is an artistic movement centered around sending small scale works through the postal service. “Signed, Sealed, Delivered” will open in our Green Gallery on Friday, August 16 and run through September 14.
Here are the guidelines for participating in this show:
- Artists may submit a maximum of 3 pieces
- Artwork should be submitted unwrapped through a postal mail service. The mailing address is:
The Scrap Exchange
923 Franklin St., Bay 1
Durham, NC 27701
- Artwork can be mailed from anywhere around the world.
- Artwork should incorporate 75% reworked, repurposed, reused, or reclaimed material.
- Artists may explore any subject matter. However, artwork must be family friendly, as our gallery is visited daily by children and adults of all ages.
- Artists should include their name (as a signature or in some other form) somewhere within the art or on the back of the artwork.
- Artwork will be physically exhibited in the Green Gallery at The Scrap Exchange from August 16 through September 14, 2013. The artwork will also be photographed and digitally archived in an online gallery on Flickr. Photos of the artwork may also be displayed on The Scrap Exchange website and social media pages.
- Artwork will not be sold, and will remain the property of the Green Gallery and archived at The Scrap Exchange as examples of mail art after the formal exhibit ends. The artwork may also subsequently be used as a teaching tool in discussions, classes, or workshops about mail art.
- The deadline for receiving submissions in the mail is August 13.
The opening reception for our “Signed, Sealed, Delivered” exhibit will be Friday, August 16 from 6pm-9pm. Opening night festivities are open to the public and will include refreshments, free art making and music!
For more information about this exhibit, call The Scrap Exchange at 919-688-6960, or send an email to store2 [at scrapexchange.org].
The Scrap Exchange is a nonprofit creative reuse arts center located in Durham, NC. Our mission is to promote creativity, environmental awareness and community through reuse. Visit our homepage at www.scrapexchange.org for more information about our mission and programming.