The Scrap Exchange is seeking artists for the following exhibit.
“The ABC’s of Reuse”
An exhibit of learning-focused reuse art at The Scrap Exchange.
featuring mosaics by Jeanette Brossart and work by other artists
Date of Exhibit
February 21, 2014 – March 15, 2014
It’s not rocket science; humans have been reusing and repurposing resource materials since early Pre-history. It’s only been in the last 100 years, that taking things apart to make other things has been perceived as an embarrassing and shameful practice. Whether mending a hole in a sock, or salvaging car parts, there is a need to educate generations of folks who have been conditioned to “throw it away and go buy a new one”.
The ABC’s of Reuse goes back to the basics… learning to look at materials for their properties and qualities, such as color, size, shape, function. Learning to observe materials, analyze, ask questions. “Will it disintegrate outside?”, “What will happen if I…?” “Could I use this for….” And then putting the learning process into practice by using the material for an artistic or creative project, or perhaps a utilitarian purpose. This is learning at its most elemental state.
This exhibit is intended to showcase the process of learning via the mechanism of creative reuse and the wide variety of materials available to explore, reinvent, and transform our world. It can be as easy as ABC.
A: Awareness of Attributes
B: Basic Bits to Begin
C: Create to increase Comprehension
The ABC’s of Reuse is the culmination of an artist residency program by mosaic artist Jeanette Brossart. Brossart is using broken ceramics, glass and pottery to create interactive alphabet mosaic tiles to spotlight the importance of literacy, a factor Brossart deems critical in the learning process. The mosaic tiles are being created in a series of public workshops using remains from Smashfest, an event held by The Scrap Exchange annually on Black Friday. (See scrapexchange.org/special-events/Smashfest for more information on our Smashfest event.)
In addition to Brossart’s work, the Green Gallery at The Scrap Exchange is seeking submissions from other artists that speak to connections between creative reuse and learning.
Guidelines for Submissions
- Artists may submit a maximum of 3 pieces.
- Artists can use any medium.
- Artwork should incorporate 75% reworked, repurposed, reused, or reclaimed material.
- Artwork should explore connections between the creative reuse experience and learning. An artist statement must be submitted with each piece of art that (1) identifies the materials used, and (2) explains how the art interprets the concept for this exhibit.
- Artwork must be appropriate for any audience, as our gallery is visited daily by children and adults of all ages.
- Artists should electronically submit their entries by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Green Gallery Exhibit: The ABC’s of Reuse” in the subject line. Email submissions must include your name, a description of the pieces including materials and dimensions, your bio or CV, and 2-4 images of the pieces you are submitting (or similar work if the pieces you wish to submit are still in progress).
- The deadline for receiving email submissions is February 8. Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis by the Green Gallery committee. Artists will be notified on or before February 15 if their work has been accepted.
- Accepted pieces must be dropped off during the week of Feb. 16. A detailed drop-off schedule will be included in the acceptance email.
- Artwork will be physically exhibited in the Green Gallery at The Scrap Exchange from February 21 through March 15, 2014. The artwork will also be photographed and digitally archived in an online gallery on Flickr. Photos of the artwork may also be displayed on The Scrap Exchange website and social media pages.
- Artists may choose to make their pieces available for sale or display only. The commission split on any sold items is 60/40, with 60% going to the artist, and 40% retained by The Scrap Exchange.
The opening reception for “The ABC’s of Reuse” exhibit will be Friday, February 21 from 6pm-9pm. Opening night festivities are free to the public and will include refreshments and musical entertainment. The ABC’s of Reuse is sponsored by PBR, the Cordoba Center for the Arts, and the North Carolina Arts Council, a Division of the Department of Cultural Resources, with funding from the National Endowment for the Arts.
For more information about this exhibit, call The Scrap Exchange at 919-688-6960, or send an email to gallery[at]scrapexchange.org.