Title: Thrift Store Floor Manager
Work week: 40 hours/week
Reports to: Deputy Director
Compensation: $14-$16/hour, Health, Dental and Short-Term Disability Benefits, Generous Paid-Time Off.
Work with staff and board to fulfill the mission of The Scrap Exchange by providing a consistently high-quality experience for thrift-store customers and drop-off donors. The Thrift Store Floor Manager works to ensure that retail operations are run in a fiscally responsible and sustainable manner.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Schedule and supervise retail employees; work to establish and maintain open lines of communication among all levels of staff and volunteers.
- Manage all aspects of customer transactions including making sure that transaction data is accurately entered into the cash register and logging it daily for entry into bookkeeping/accounting system.
- Track store sales against historical sales and projected targets.
- Set prices of retail items and make sure all items are priced when they are put on the floor.
- Work with other staff to keep the store stocked; manage the timely and efficient transfer of materials between back stock/warehouse areas and the store; inform collections department and materials staff of needed materials.
- Work with processing staff to ensure that items brought in as drop-off donations are properly screened; ensure that systems are in place for accurately recording donations and for providing donation receipts to donors.
- Ensure that the store looks attractive to potential customers and is easily shoppable
- Ensure that all areas of the store including the retail floor, bathrooms, volunteer work areas, workshop spaces, and storage spaces are clean, orderly, and properly stocked.
- Provide courteous, friendly and efficient customer service.
- Provide customers with accurate, positive information about The Scrap Exchange.
- Handle customer complaints and keep executive staff apprised of any potential problems that could affect the organization as a whole.
- Handle all staff management tasks including setting staff schedules, reviewing annual work plans, doing evaluations, creating and reviewing manuals, setting work priorities, and managing day-to-day operations.
- Oversee duties carried out by other retail staff and volunteers including Thrift Store Assistant Manager, store staff, and store volunteers.
- Work with collections and warehouse staff on materials organization and pricing, to ensure that materials are managed in an efficient manner and properly priced for retail.
- Work with executive staff to ensure that retail operations fit in with the overall goals of The Scrap Exchange.
- Interface with The Scrap Exchange board and executive staff in committee meetings and board meetings as needed.
Specific duties of a supervisor include
- Explaining policies, procedures and rules to employees.
- Planning and scheduling work.
- Training employees to properly execute job duties.
- Training employees in safety practices.
- Ensuring that tools and equipment are inspected and properly cared for.
- Getting tools, equipment and materials where needed.
- Getting the appropriate employee working on the right task at the right time.
- Controlling accident hazards.
- Maintaining good housekeeping on the job.
- Building and maintaining morale.
- Encouraging teamwork.
- Settling differences among employees.
- Improving discipline.
- Checking and inspecting work.
- Improving quality and quantity of work.
- Controlling attendance (absence and tardiness)
- Building and maintaining good relations with the public.
- Standing and walking for extended periods of time (up to 8 hours per day)
- Bending, stooping, and climbing
- Unassisted heavy lifting
- Working in varying temperatures
- Use of box cutters, electric knife
- Driving a cargo van
Please submit cover letter, resume and three references via email to jobs [at] scrapexchange.org no later than September 21, 2017