Our mission is to promote creativity, environmental awareness, and community through reuse. For over 27 years, The Scrap Exchange (TSE) has provided a sustainable supply of high-quality, low-cost materials for artists, educators, and other creative people. The organization is an economic engine for entrepreneurial activity built around materials reuse and waste-recovery. It creates green jobs and workforce development opportunities through a range of community partnerships. Our creative reuse arts center contains the Scrap Shop, the Scrap Thrift (opened Dec 2017), Cameron Gallery, a Design Center that hosts classes, a Make-N-Take classroom for open studio art making, and much more. In 2016, with the help of community investment partners, TSE purchased the northern end of the neighboring Lakewood Shopping Center and established the Reuse Arts District (RAD), a separate LLC. RAD is a multi-year initiative in incubation under TSE.
The Scrap Exchange is on solid footing as an organization and is poised for the next generation of executive leadership. It seeks an Executive Director who can run and grow an operation with a $1.4 million annual budget ($2.4 million including RAD) and be a strong public advocate for community outreach and reuse. TSE has received several local and national awards during the course of its history. We want TSE and RAD to serve as a national and international reuse model.
- Serve as an effective advocate, model, and spokesperson for reuse and The Scrap Exchange. Be a visible community leader.
- Expand awareness of our programs locally, statewide and nationally.
- Foster a diverse, energized, and exciting workplace that reflects the community in which it works.
- Develop a strong organizational team of staff and volunteers to promote effective program execution and individual professional growth and job satisfaction.
- Develop and implement strategic plans, organizational goals, and objectives. Develop these into innovative TSE programs and services.
- Provide a consistent flow of revenue to the organization to support programs and activities through diverse and multi-faceted income streams.
- Partner with the Board Chair and work collaboratively with the Board of Directors to achieve the organization’s strategic plan.
Management and Operations:
- Oversee retail operations and administration.
- Support the accomplishment of RAD and the RAD Director to ensure incubation goals are met; collaborate with RAD Director and TSE Board over periodic review of RAD criteria for separation.
- Organize and prioritize work of TSE staff and volunteers while ensuring adequate policies and procedures are in place for a legal, effective, happy and productive work environment.
- Develop an annual budget, in cooperation with the Board’s Finance Committee and accountable to the Board, and ensure fiscal responsibility and security.
- In cooperation with, and accountable to, the Board of Directors, develop and implement a 3-year strategic plan to be updated and approved by the Board on an annual basis.
- Ensure high-quality program delivery, evaluation, and reporting systems that promote effective utilization of personnel and financial resources.
- Manage risk related to TSE (operational, safety, legal compliance, reputational, fiscal).
- Set management performance standards and program metrics to review, measure and understand organizational performance and effectiveness, and report on progress to the Board.
- Foster the mission of and vision of TSE in the community. Build community and public awareness of our products and services. Determine areas for the expansion in community collaboration and services.
- Develop and implement a plan to expand relationships and partnerships that will lead to sustainable, diversified funding streams and significant philanthropic investments in TSE’s future.
- Plan and lead expected growth in fundraising including annual and major gift development, grant writing, and special events.
- Position TSE as a major community participant and steward in the economic development and health of Durham county.
- Increase the awareness of the utilization of reuse by corporate, government, community, and individual members of the community.
- Speak with local and national press and seek earned media attention in partnership with Marketing, Outreach, and Development teams.
- Undergraduate degree (graduate degree and/or post graduate training preferred) or equivalent experience
At least 7 years of senior organization leadership experience in the nonprofit sector, preferably in the field of reuse, environmental sustainability, the arts, education, social enterprise, or community development.
- Preferred experience in understanding and working with retail operations.
- A proven team-building, empowering leadership style with a track record of building and maintaining strong working relationships with internal (staff and Board) and external (donors and community leaders) stakeholders.
- Strong financial acumen and proven track record generating fundraising revenue .
- Experience with the management or oversight of a comparably sized budget ($1.4 million) and staff (50 full- and part-time).
- Proven commitment to community, diversity, and equity.
- Ability to effectively lead and manage change as we continue to grow and develop. Set direction, gain alignment, and secure commitment of staff, board, and key stakeholders.
- Relationship developer and sustainer—someone who is able to quickly build rapport and trust, and maximizes relationships to continue and grow the leadership and influence for which the organization is known.
- Active participants in the Durham and/or Triangle, NC, community or the national creative reuse field preferred.
The Scrap Exchange is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our community and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
View 2017 Annual Report here.
View 2017 Fact Sheet here.
We expect the new Executive Director to begin no earlier than February 1, 2019.
To apply please follow this link to respond to a brief application survey and to upload your resume and cover letter. All questions should be directed to email@example.com. We look forward to reviewing your application and following up shortly.