Materials Processing Job Description
The Scrap Exchange is seeking energetic, self-motivated, hard-working individuals to join our materials processing team. The successful candidate is a strong team player who is capable of working independently and who possesses excellent customer-service skills. Fabric and craft knowledge a plus!
This physically demanding job involves sorting, pricing, and stocking materials on the retail sales floor.
The Scrap Exchange is a nonprofit organization with a mission to promote creativity, environmental awareness, and community through reuse. Since 1991, we have been collecting materials from local businesses and residents and distributing these reclaimed materials through a variety of programs. Our creative reuse arts center contains a retail store, art gallery, Design Center for hosting classes, Make-N-Take classroom for open studio art-making, and more.
- Fabric and craft knowledge a plus
- Provide courteous, friendly and efficient customer service
- Provide customers with accurate, positive information about The Scrap Exchange
- Use of pallet jack and hand truck
- Sort incoming materials for sale in retail store and use in programming
- Direct volunteers to process materials for retail store and use in programming
- Move at a reasonable pace to meet quotas for putting materials out in the store
- Stock the store, in conjunction with other staff
- Create displays/sample items
- Set prices of retail items, in conjunction with other staff
- Keep store, bathroom, volunteer space, workshop space and storage space orderly and clean
- Handle customer complaints; confer with director/manager
- Process incoming mongo donations (wood, electronics, metal, paint, cables, AV supplies, etc.)
- Assist with warehouse organization, as needed.
- Sub for other staff and/or cashiers as directed by manager.
- Standing and walking for extended periods of time (up to 8 hours)
- Bending, stooping, and climbing
- Unassisted heavy lifting (up to 40 lbs.)
- Working in varying temperatures in warehouse environment
- Must be able to work on weekends (Saturday and/or Sunday)
- Part-time: 22-28 hours per week / 3 shifts. Standard shift is 10:45am to 7:15 p.m.
- Availability to cover shifts for other staff
- $10.60 hour
- Paid time off, after probationary period
- 10 discretionary days, pro-rated according to hours worked (e.g., 22 hour per week employee receives 44 discretionary hours)
- PTO hours accrued at the following rates for regularly scheduled hours (non-PTO, non-outreach events) worked:
– 5% in years 1 and 2
– 5% in years 3, 4 and 5
– 10% in all years thereafter
Please submit resumes to Suellen Laberdia, Retail Assistant Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.