Title: Scrap Thrift Sales Floor Lead
Work week: 35-40 hours/week
Reports to: Store Manager
Overall Responsibility:To fulfill the mission of the Scrap Exchange by consistently providing a high-quality experience to customers and donors and helping to ensure smooth day-to-day operations of the store.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide courteous, friendly and efficient customer service.
- Provide customers with accurate, positive information about The Scrap Exchange.
- Responsible for store operations when the manager & assistant managers are away from the store.
- Answer phone, take messages and check messages.
- Operate the cash register.
- Stock the store and make visually appealing merchandise displays.
- Open and close the store including making register corrections and accurately filling out deposit slips.
- Work to ensure that store staff members are working in a safe and efficient manner.
- Handle and document customer complaints; work with managers to resolve complaints appropriately.
- Process and price materials.
- Keep store, bathroom, volunteer space, workshop space, and storage space orderly and clean.
- Provide educational information to customers about donated materials; reuse vs. recycling; reducing residential waste; and landfill alternatives.
- Assist with warehouse organization as needed.
- Assisting staff with register issues, voids, over rings, paperwork and customer service.
- Substitute for other staff as needed.
- Directing volunteers and community service members to the right areas.
- Ability to work well independently and with others
- Exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and ready to take initiative in all types of situations
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Cash handling experience
- Good time management
- Positive attitude with a willingness to learn and contribute
- Previous experience in a supervisory role
- Previous experience with retail merchandising
- Familiar with The Scrap Exchange, our mission and our culture
- Bilingual a plus
- Availability to work weekends is a must
- Using a pallet jack, ladders, tools, etc.
- Bending, stooping, and climbing
- Unassisted heavy lifting (up to 50 lbs.)
- Working in varying temperatures
- Use of box cutters, electric knife
Compensation and Benefits:
- $12.50/hr starting pay
- Workers’ Compensation insurance
- Paid time off (available after 3 month probationary period)
- Stipend to assist with healthcare costs (available after 3 month probationary period)
- Dental insurance (available after 3 month probationary period)
- Unemployment insurance
- 20% off store purchases (some restrictions apply)
- 50% off class registration for creative classes
Please submit resumes to Robin Stevens, Scrap Thrift Retail Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Scrap Exchange is an equal opportunity employer. The Scrap Exchange prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy gender, identity and sexual orientation), age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
The above is intended to describe the general content of the requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Last Updated: 4/10/2019