VISIT our creative reuse arts center
Starting in March 2018, we will be offering free Teacher Tours from 12:00-2:00 pm on the 4th Saturday of each month. The tours will give you the opportunity to learn more about the resources that are available to you through The Scrap Exchange!
We also offer self-led open studio programming in our Make N Take room as well as guided workshops led by our trained staff. We require advance reservations for groups of more than 10 participants. Groups with fewer than 10 participants may visit during drop-in hours but should call in advance to confirm that the room is available.
SHOP for low cost supplies
The Scrap Exchange retail store is a never-ending source of affordable inspiration for teachers! Shop our famous blue barrel room where you can fill-a-bag with as many materials as you can stuff inside! Choose a small ($5), medium ($10), or large ($20) bag. In addition to fill-a-bag, we also sell thousands of items individually and stock changes constantly!
Need more incentives? Stop in for Teacher Tuesdays and receive an additional 10% off with a valid teacher or homeschooler I.D.
This is a self-led program in the Make N Take room at The Scrap Exchange. A staff member provides an introduction to the room and the materials available. Participants are free to interact with the materials and to explore and create to their hearts’ content.
$5 per participant for 1.5 hours
(A $15 deposit is required to reserve the room for groups of 10 or more)
Complete our online form to Request an Open Studio at The Scrap Exchange! Reservations for Open Studio are intended for field trip groups from any type of organization, including schools. Please remember that completing this form is not a reservation for your open studio. We make every effort to respond to your inquiry within 72 business hours. Our website calendar is updated often and lists scheduled programs so that you can check on potential dates before requesting a field trip: http://scrapexchange.org/calendar/
Workshops are staff-led and priced based on the number of participants and the length of the program. A staff member will introduce the group to basic concepts of creative reuse, explore the materials to be used in the program, and facilitate creativity throughout the length of the program.
Up to 30 participants per hour: $130 per hour
We offer the following programs options for Workshops:
- Make N Take — an eco-friendly creative arts activity. Participants use our fascinating collection of materials to create anything they can imagine. We provide materials along with scissors, tape and staplers to create with. Creativity and imaginations are unleashed as students make rocket ships, costumes, robots, sculptures, and more. Participants keep whatever they make. This program is best for ages 5 and up.
- Junk Jams— creative percussion and rhythm education. Our percussion program allows everyone to play with sound using our collection of instruments built from buckets, pots, pans, and other reclaimed materials. The program is designed so anyone can participate – no musical experience is necessary! This program is great for all ages, but is best for ages 4 and up.
- Build It! — transforming playtime with unusual materials. Playtime helps kids build friendships, develop new skills and engage their imaginations by providing the opportunity to explore and be creative. To foster inventive free-play we provide kits of “loose parts” that transform any area into a fantastical world of play. You’ll be amazed at the creative ways kids engage with these materials and with each other. This program is great for preschool aged children, ages 2 to 5 years old.
- Take-Apart Station — tinkering fun and education. This portable kit contains obsolete electronics and old appliances that participants can dismantle to explore transistors, circuit boards, keys, buttons and other interesting gizmos and gadgets. We provide all items to be dismantled as well as tools (screwdrivers, wrenches) and safety equipment (gloves, safety glasses). This program works best with small groups, ages 8 and up.
BRING the Scrap Exchange experience to YOUR school or classroom
We supply materials and trained staff to integrate your classroom or program goals into a fun, educational, hands-on creative arts experience. Any of our workshops can be scaled to meet your specific needs. Our staff member will introduce our unique materials, our mission, and assists as students create their projects. We can serve up to 75 participants at once, but consecutive 45 minute to 1 hour groups can be arranged to accommodate more.
Please allow at least a two-week notice when submitting an inquiry form so that we can properly plan and staff your Workshop.
Rate for up to 30 participants per hour:
$195 for 1.5 hours ($130 per additional hour). * For events more than 20 miles from The Scrap Exchange, there is $0.65 per mile roundtrip fee. Rates increase for locations more than 75 miles from The Scrap Exchange.
Rate for up to 75 participants per hour:
$350 for 1.5 hours ($175 per additional hour). * For events more than 20 miles from The Scrap Exchange, there is $0.65 per mile roundtrip fee. Rates increase for locations more than 75 miles from The Scrap Exchange.
Complete our online form to request information about Workshops and Workshop Availability! Please allow at least a two-week notice when submitting an inquiry form so that we can properly plan and staff your Workshop. Note that completing this request form is not a reservation. We make every effort to respond to your inquiry within 72 business hours.
IMPROVE your skills with professional development workshops
Learn how to incorporate reuse principles into your curriculum. We provide teachers and childcare providers with fresh ideas and age-appropriate projects for enriching children’s learning and play experiences. We’ll show you how to get the most out of your resources, no matter how limited.
At The Scrap Exchange $150 for 1.5 hours includes 20 teachers, $10 for each additional, 30 teacher maximum
At your location: $350 for 2 hours ($150 per additional hour) includes 20 educators.
* For events more than 20 miles from The Scrap Exchange, there is $0.65 per mile roundtrip fee. Rates increase for locations more than 75 miles from The Scrap Exchange.
Prices vary on number of participants, travel time and length of event. Please contact Anna Graves, Outreach and Education Manager, at events[at]scrapexchange.org or 919-213-1278 for a quote.