Celebrate Earth Day Weekend with Two Great Events …
Friday, April 20th, 2018 | 5 pm – 9 pm | 2020 Chapel Hill Road, Suite 31, Durham
– 5 pm – Ribbon cutting by MAYOR STEVE SCHEWEL
– Live Music Outdoors by the Bulltown Strutters
– Visit the Cameron Gallery for the opening of the FRIENDS & FAMILY SHOW
– Free Make N Take (6-9 pm) Kids play free w/parent
Saturday, April 21st, 2018 | 10 am – 6 pm | 2050 Chapel Hill Road, Durham
Free! Donations welcome!
Get Creative | Get Active | Get Musical | Get Informed
DIY Fest celebrates Durham’s innovative do-it-yourself spirit with local artists, makers, and zero waste organizations. The FREE day-long festival includes kids’ activities, live demonstrations, handmade items, environmental presentations, music, fun and more:
GET CREATIVE at multiple stations throughout our campus:
- Hands-on activities and demonstrations all day in our Design Studio and Make N Take room
- Watch or compete in Durham’s first robot sumo-wrestling Hebocon competition (advance registration required). The competition is being hosted by Splat Space, Durham’s Maker Space. Three workshops are scheduled prior to the event for those wishing to learn the rules, build their robot and secure a spot in the competition. To register for a workshop click here: Check out “Mike the Headless Chicken” created our designer, Daniel Bagnell! To learn more about the origins of Hebocon visit: https://portal.nifty.com/hebocon/rules_en.htm
- Create a bookmark and get a FREE book. The Scrap Exchange is collaborating with SCALE members to celebrate Global Youth Service Day. Participants are invited to make bookmarks to trade in for a free book from Book Harvest! Bookmarks will then be donated along with more books to Families Moving Forward, a family shelter in Durham.”
- Try your hand at screen printing on a fantastic assortment of Scrap Exchange materials with guidance from the experts at Super G Print Lab. It’s a perfect way create your own unique piece of DIY Fest memorabilia!
- Get new to you fashions at our DIY Clothing Swap, co-sponsored by Freeman’s Creative in Suite 25. Drop off your old clothes at noon and then return from 1-5 to pick out something new. PLUS, learn a new skill at the refashion and mending stations.
Hebocon Competition Schedule:
10:30 – 11:00 am: Check-in time for ages 12 & under
11:00 – Noon: 12 & under matches
1:30 – 2:00 pm: Check-in time for adults & over 12
2:00 – 3:00 pm: Matches for adult & over 12
3:30: Grand Championship
GET ACTIVE and play with dirt:
- Play Futsall (mini soccer) with Durham Atletico
- Learn about sustainable gardening from Compost Now
- Create a reuse planter for your own garden and we’ll supply the seeds and soil
- Bubbles, chalk and more!
PLUS… Science topics presented for kids by the Science Wizard and a visit by Durham Public Library Book mobile!
GET MUSICAL at the Loading Dock Stage in our courtyard:
Loading Dock Main Stage Schedule:
10:00 am – 11:00 am: Junk Jam session, our creative percussion and rhythm education program that allows everyone to play with sound using our collection of instruments built from reclaimed materials. The program is designed so anyone can participate – no musical experience is necessary!
11:00 am – 1:30 pm: DJ Pittipat
1:30 pm – 2:00 pm: 123 Puppetry
2:00 pm – 3:00 pm : Tiny House
3:00 pm – 5:00 pm: Pagan Hellcats
5:00 pm – 6:00 pm: Second Shift A Cappella
GET INFORMED about environmental issues at our Eco Faire:
Eco Faire Schedule:
10:00 am: Eco Faire is open to the public
10:30 am – 1:00 pm: Informational presentations from organizations including: Tim Profeta from the Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions, Carolina Solar Services, and Ungraded Foods
1:00-2:00 pm: Discussion Panel: The Importance of Green Businesses
2:00-4:00 pm: Informational presentations from organizations including: Durham Parks Foundation, Durham Bike Co-Op, Compost Now, and Don’t Waste Durham
4:00-5:00 pm: Interactive Pollinator Hotel Workshop- Come make a pollinator hotel! Reservations required.
5:00- 6:00 pm: Documentary Screening: Wasted! The Story of Food Waste. Reservations required.
BONUS: Come decorate a planter with Rick Miller from The Microgreenery. Seeds and dirt will be provided by the Scrap Exchange!
Businesses/organizations that will be represented include: Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions, Carolina Solar Services, Ungraded Foods, Durham Parks Foundation, NC School of Math and Science, Durham Hub Farm, Compost Now, Don’t Waste Durham, Reborn Clothing Co., Durham Bike Co-op, Repair Cafe (information only, no on-site repairs), Green Zone Recycling, and The Microgreenery.
NOTE: To reserve your FREE spot at the Pollinator Hotel Workshop and the screening of Wasted! The Story of Food Waste, visit Eventbrite here.
GET Great Food at Lakewood’s food destinations:
- Our new neighbors, County Fare Food Trucks & Bar will be open just in time for DIY Fest! Be the first to try what will soon become the hottest gathering spot in town.
- Other great spots within walking distance include Cocoa Cinnamon, Scratch Bakery, The Lakewood, Azteca Grill, and La Tiendita II
Artists and Makers will be stationed in our outdoor courtyard and along the sidewalk in front of our new Scrap Thrift store for those wanting to learn a new skill or pick up a beautiful hand-made item!
MANY THANKS TO OUR GENEROUS SPONSORS:
AND TO OUR CO-HOSTS: