Home > Message from the Executive Director > A Message from Ann: April 2013

Dear Friends,

As we cycle through another year, we’re into the bloomin’ phase — everything is popping around here!

This is also the time of year that The Scrap Exchange celebrates its anniversary — April 2013 marks the beginning of our TWENTY-SECOND year in operation! Wow!

We often are amazed by how long we’ve been at this and how much we’ve grown … and how much more there is still to do! And we are thankful to still be here, and profoundly grateful to our community for its ongoing support.

So come on out and celebrate with us! Here are some ways you can participate …

SHOP! Customer Appreciation Week — We’ll have deals and sales and snacks all week long at the store. Come in and see what’s new and what’s on special, as we honor our supporters and friends with never-before-seen offers for Customer Appreciation Week.

SHOW YOUR ART! Friends and Family Show — Our next gallery show is our annual Friends and Family extravaganza, open to anyone who wants to participate. Drop off a maximum of three pieces of work between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Tuesday 4/16 or Wed 4/17, or on Thursday 4/18 between 11 a.m. and 8 p.m. All work must be for sale. (60% of the sale price goes to the artist; the other 40% goes to The Scrap Exchange.)

CELEBRATE! Third Friday — Friday 4/19 is the opening reception for the Friends and Family show and it will be a fun one … Art, PBR, birthday cake, free Make-N-Take, and our very own Durham treasure, Ronnie Capps, on the piano!

Also we will be unveiling an outdoor installation of a large collaborative art piece that weaver Jan French created with her students from Carolina Friends School. We can’t wait to see what that looks like when it’s up!

And if that’s not enough for you, we also have a couple of FUNdraising events coming up …

LEUWWD VIII — Saturday, April 20 come to the Cordoba Center for the Arts for a women’s arm wrestling event presented by LUEWWD (League of Upper Extremity Wrestling Women of Durham). Doors open at 7:30 p.m. and the main event starts at 9 p.m. Five dollars gets you in the door and all proceeds benefit The Scrap Exchange and Liberty Arts. Special VIP tickets are still available. Dress-up is strongly encouraged.

Brew Durham 4: 50 handcrafted beers, 6 Durham restaurants, 1 taste-filled fundraiser — On Saturday, May 4, the patio at the Cordoba Center for the Arts will become the center of the homebrew universe in the Triangle for the fourth edition of Brew Durham. Two tastings: 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tickets are on sale now at Eventbrite: brewdurham4.eventbrite.com

A great big thank you for your support, patronage, and for reading this!

Hope to see you soon!

Ann May Woodward
Executive Director
The Scrap Exchange