The Scrap Exchange has received many mentions in the press and on the web over it’s 20+ year history. Here are just a few of our favorites!
We Care About Affordable Housing
Did You Know…?
That the Scrap Exchange is working to create sustainable, affordable housing? When we say that we care about community, we aren’t just whistling dixie.
Find out more from the Durham Herald’s feature about the Scrap Exchange getting approval in their story, “City OKs $660K to help The Scrap Exchange build future affordable housing in Durham.” November 2019
- WRAL’s Tar Heel Traveler, features a story on the history and mission of The Scrap Exchange “Trash is treasure at Durham Scrap Exchange,” November 2017
- Durham Herald Sun, mention in feature article “Scrap Exchange exhibit envisions another kind of renaissance” highlighting artifacts found in the time capsule at the former Center Theater, January 2017
- Indy Week, Article highlighted The Scrap Exchange artist-in-residence, Jean Michel Dissake and his upcoming show Cameroun: L’Élan Vital , March 2017
- Durham Herald Sun, mention in feature article “Everything is Linked” an exhibit by artist-in-residence Jean Michel Dissake, March 2017
- The editorial board of Durham Herald Sun speaks on The Scrap Exchange’s efforts in “Reviving Lakewood” April 2017
- The Herald Sun, mention in feature article “Scrap Exchange seeking to finish leasing of Lakewood building“, April 2017
- ABC11.com featured The Scrap Exchange in a video on a “Durham Shopping Center on Verge of Major Revitalization“, April 2017
- Indy Week features an Op-Ed post from our Executive Director, Ann Woodward, on “Revitalization Without Gentrification: The Scrap Exchange in Durham’s Lakewood Neighborhood“, April 2017
- Durham Herald Sun, mention in feature article about greatest art exhibits in 2015, January 2016.
Ten exhibits that made 2015 a vibrant visual arts year
- Triad City Beat, mention in feature article about plans for new nonprofit for waste diversion in Greensboro, January 2016.
Nonprofit would divert waste stream to artists, locals
- News and Observer, mention in news article about famous Durham doll, February 2016.
Dahlia, The Durham Doll
- Durham Herald Sun, feature news article about The Scrap Exchange expansion plans, February 2016.
Scrap Exchange aims to create Lakewood district centered around reuse
- The Atlantic, mentioned in business article about Durham’s economy and gentrification, March 2016.
The Downside of Durham’s Rebirth
- News and Observer, Asides: News of Triangle arts, in brief; “Recycled into art”.
Asides: News of Triangle arts, in brief
- News and Observer, feature article on reuse revolution and Scrap Exchange mission, January 2015
Second Time’s the Charm
- Durham Herald Sun, feature article of Samedi Gras, February 2015.
START THE PARTY: Scrap Ex, Bull City gear up for Mardi Gras
- Durham Herald Sun, column on “Warmed Over Sue Realism” exhibit.
Blue Greenberg: New connections at The Scrap Exchange
- News and Observer, mention in Home & Garden article on reuse materials.
Salvage is at root of this garden
- The Charlotte Observer, mention in SciTech article about an innovation and creation event, October 2015.
Discovery Place celebrates innovation at ‘maker fair’
- News and Observer, mention in Fashion article about artistic inspiration for designer Whitney Robinson of Freshly Given, November 2015.
Emerging Design: Freshly Given designer finds joy in creating
- The Durham Voice, Swap-O-Rama-Rama article, February 2014
Swap-O-Rama-Rama highlights Scrap Exchange year of growth
- Durham Herald Sun, Move to Lakewood article, July 2014
Scrap Exchange sets date for move
- Triangle Business Journal, Move to Lakewood article, July 2014
Durham’s Scrap Exchange readies for new home
- Durham News, Move to Lakewood article, August 2014
Scrap Exchange opens doors to new home Saturday
- Durham Magazine, Move to Lakewood article, August 2014
Moving The Scrap
- Durham Herald Sun, Move to Lakewood article, August 2014
3rd Time the Charm
- Durham Voice, Move to Lakewood article, September 2014
Scrap Exchange: home at last
- Indy Week, Article about Scrap Exchange as economic catalyst in Lakewood, October 2014
The Scrap Exchange and possibility
- News and Observer, Grand Opening article, October 2014
Scrap Exchange celebrates its new Durham location
- Clarion Content, Grand Opening article, October 2014
The Scrap Exchange Grand Opening is Sunday
- Durham Herald Sun, article on Smashfest, November 2014
Participants relieve stress, create art at Scrap Exchange’s Smashfest
- News and Observer, article on Smashfest, November 2014
Durham’s Smashfest helps relieve stress, strike a blow against consumerism
- Durham Herald Sun, profile of Cameron Gallery, November 2014
Remaking art at The Scrap Exchange
- Clarion Content, review of When I Lose My Grip exhibit, November 2014
Anna Wallace, When I Lose My Grip
- Durham Herald Sun, Cameron Gallery cited in year-end review of regional art scene by Blue Greenberg, December 2014
Blue Greenberg: The 10 best exhibitions of 2014
- Durham Herald Sun, article about Brew Durham, May, 2013
A taste of home, brewed with love
- Triangle Downtowner Magazine, Youtube video interview with Executive Director Ann Woodward
Link to Video
- Durham Herald Sun, Feature preview article of Signed, Sealed, Delivered, August 2013
Community of Correspondence
- Herald Sun, Blue Greenberg’s review of “Signed, Sealed, Delivered” exhibit, August, 2013
At Scrap Exchange, art as pastime
- The Daily Tarheel, article on Signed, Sealed, Delivered exhibit, August 2013
Durham gallery creates art out of worldwide mail
- Stir Crazy Mom’s Guide to the Triangle, blog review, August 2013
Throwback Thursday: The Scrap Exchange
- TheBoredZombie.com, blog review, August 2013
The Sunday Geekery: Durham’s Scrap Exchange
- Finding Away: The Trash Blog, blog review, September 2013
Romanced by Reuse
- Durham Herald Sun, Signed, Sealed, Delivered named in Top 10 exhibits of the year, December 2013
Blue Greenberg: 10 Best Exhibitions in 2013
- Apartment Therapy website, November 2008
The Scrap Exchange
- New York Times, June 2009
36 Hours in Research Triangle, N.C.
- Oprah Magazine, February 2011
Where to Get Rid of Anything
- Indy Week, Indies Arts Awards article, July 2011
Art and environment intersect at The Scrap Exchange
- Carpe Durham, blog review, July 2012
The Scrap Exchange
- Durham Herald Sun, Legacy Of Thrift named in Top 11 exhibits of the year, December 2012
The 11 best Triangle art exhibits of 2012