The mayor of Durham has APPROVED our curbside pick up process! This means that we will continue to populate our online store, giving you an opportunity to beat back boredom while social distancing!
If you haven’t checked out our new online store, you will find in addition to our popular Boredom Buster Kids Craft boxes, wonderful book bundles, yarn bags, boxes of puzzles, knitting and crocheting kits and more!
How It Works
- Order your item online at the ScrapOnline and checkout.
- Come pick up your order. Pickup hours are Tuesday-Saturday from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. Orders are ready in about 20 minutes from when the order payment is processed.
- When you are ready to pick up your order come to the Scrap Exchange’s main building to our new drive thru lane.
- Text the number on the sign to let us know you are waiting.
- We will come out with your order!
We have fielded a lot of questions about our operations and decided to answer them below:
Are you taking curbside material donations?
No. We currently do not have the capacity to quarantine donations in light of the current pandemic or offer them in good conscience to the public. The items that are being offered online have been in the store for quite sometime. We ask that you stay healthy and hold your donations until after our operations come back up to full capacity.
Why are asking for financial donations?
Traditionally, the Scrap Exchange has had a recession-proof operations model, by relying on 90% of our operations budget coming from retail revenue. Without the ability to be open at full capacity, we have had to cut back on staffing and make several shifts. Your generosity and support during this time is VITAL to our ability to come out on the other side of this crisis. Every little bit helps and anything you can do is appreciated.
What can I do to help?
So much! There is a lot we can all do because we are a community!
- Stay connected! Follow us on social media, especially Facebook. We will announce new items or changes on Facebook and Instagram.
- Shop online! We love offering what we have to help you express yourself and appreciate the art of the community in Durham. You can shop now or shop later by purchasing a gift certificate.
- Join our mailing list! You can sign up to read about major announcements and profiles about members of our artistic and creative community.
- Give online! We need you now more than ever. If you are able to give through a donation via PayPal or through our store, we will be grateful! If you have to watch pennies but shop elsewhere online, please consider Amazon Smile and select the Scrap Exchange as your charity.