DURING COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS, DONATIONS WILL BE RECEIVED BY APPOINTMENT ONLY, TUESDAY – SATURDAY, 11 AM – 4 PM.
Give Your Old Stuff a New Life!
Material donations provide low-cost art supplies, clothing, and housewares for the community to enjoy. They help teachers properly equip their classrooms. They help creatives afford supplies. They give families an affordable place to buy clothing and household items. Donating items and materials is really easy.
We accept drop-off donations at our thrift store location at 2020 Chapel Hill Road, Suite 31, Durham, NC 27707
The new donation location includes a convenient curb-side drop-off service to make donating to The Scrap Exchange easier than ever before. Just drive-up and drop of your old things in a couple of minutes.
All donations should be clean and sorted. We will not accept items that are unclean, covered in mildew or mold, stained, or unable to be immediately reused.
Items We Accept
- Accessories (belts, purses, hats, gloves)
- Architectural and design samples
- Art Supplies
- Bottle caps, corks, rubber bands
- Bicycles, bike parts, and accessories
- Christmas lights and wreaths
- Clothing and shoes (clean and in good condition)
- Crafting Supplies
- Containers (Crates and tubs, totes with lids, stackable drawers, clementine crates, milk crates, etc.)
- Fabric and Yarn
- Fasteners and fixtures (hooks, doorknobs, screws, nails, wire, rope, keys, locks)
- Furniture (please see our guidelines on furniture below)
- Gears and wheels (no car tires)
- Gift wrap (on rolls) and party supplies
- Glass jars (baby food jars, mason jars, glass vases, etc.)
- Housewares (pots, pans, utensils, teakettles, serve-ware, toasters, etc.)
- Jewelry (costume, broken, and fancy)
- Musical Instruments (we cannot accommodate large instruments such as pianos)
- Office supplies (paper clips, pens, notepads, phone memo books, file folders, etc.)
- Packing materials (moving boxes, packing paper, bubble wrap, packing peanuts)
- Photography equipment and projectors
- Picture frames
- Reusable Shopping Bags
- Science and lab glass
- Sewing accessories
- Small electronics (telephones, remote controls, speakers, radios, etc.)
- Sporting goods (Not Large Exercise equipment)
- Tins and containers (decorative tins, cigar boxes, coffee tins, oatmeal containers, etc.)
- Tools, power tools, hand tools, yard and garden equipment
- Toys and games
- Trophies and awards, plaques, ribbons, etc.
- Vintage and collectible items
- Wooden dowels and other small craft wood
We Take Industrial Products, Too!
As much as 70% of materials trucked to municipal landfills come from business and industry. By diverting this waste to people who can use it in education, art, and recreation, local businesses can reduce the waste stream and also help enrich education and the arts.
We collect clean, safe, reusable industrial discards as well as new, finished products from a variety of businesses.
If you would like to donate non-toxic industrial products such as shelving, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Items We Do Not Accept
Unfortunately, due to liability concerns, we cannot take everything. Please not that we cannot accept the following items:
- Baby gear and furniture (strollers, playpens, high-chairs, car seats, cribs, walkers, bath seats, etc)
- Bean bag chairs
- Beds, bed frames, mattresses, inflatable mattresses, futons
- Clothing hangers
- Coaxial cable
- CRT computer monitors
- Drywall and particle board
- E-waste (electronics that no longer work)
- Electrical fixtures that have exposed wires (ceiling fans, wall sconces, etc.)
- Home recorded VHS tapes
- House paint (all colors and shades)
- Humidifiers and vaporizers
- Large appliances (washers, dryers, refrigerators, stoves, etc)
- Large exercise equipment (treadmills, elliptical machines, etc)
- Light bulbs
- Medical supplies (including crutches, braces and boots)
- Moldy or mildew covered items
- Printers, scanners, copiers
- Sheets of unframed glass
- Sheets of unframed mirror
- Stained or soiled linens and pillows
- Styrofoam (except packing peanuts)
- Taxidermy items
- Toxic materials
- Tube televisions
- Upholstered furniture
- Vacuums, steamers, and rug cleaners
- White, gray, black and brown colored tile
The Scrap Exchange is a 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Organization. All donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law. Federal ID: 56-1728718