A Cashier’s primary role is to assist customers while in the store and during their check-out process. Main duties include: ringing up sales, bagging items, loyalty program redemptions, collecting payment, and giving appropriate change. Responsible for counting the contents of cash register drawer, floor recovery, and cleaning duties at the end of each shift.
|Pay Range:||$13.00-$14.00 per hour||Bonus Potential:||5% of salary, assessed quarterly|
|Reports To:||Retail Manager||Group:||Sales Floor|
Role and Responsibilities
- Provide courteous, friendly and efficient customer service
- Provide customers with accurate, positive information about The Scrap Exchange store and programs
- Greet patrons when entering or leaving establishment
- Ensure pricing is correct, scan goods, take payments, bag items, Issue change, and give receipts
- Handle cash or credit transactions with customers using Square Retail cash register system
- Enroll customers in loyalty reward programs and redeem rewards upon request
- Count money in cash drawers at the beginning/end of shift to ensure amounts are correct
- Make sales referrals, cross-sell products, and ask customers for round ups or donations
- Guide customers and provide relevant information, resolve or escalate customer complaints
- Direct volunteers to bag purchases and reset sales floor. Politely redirect if off task
- When no customers are at the register, return unpurchased items and tidy assigned sales floor areas
- Keep an eye on customer actions and report any potential shoplifting concerns to a manager
- Keep checkout area, bathroom, volunteer space, and sales floor orderly and clean
- Promote special events and restock flyers if needed
- Standing, bending, and stooping, for extended periods of time (up to 8 hours)
- Extensive contact with the public
- Walking and climbing as required
- Unassisted heavy lifting (up to 40 lbs.)
- Shift Work Exclusively.
- Full Time: 35 hours per week / 5 shifts
- Part Time: approximately 25 hours per week / 3 shifts
- Must be able to work on weekends (Saturday and/or Sunday), as scheduled.
Additional Qualifications and Education Requirements
High School or GED preferred
Certifications and Licenses Requirements
- Previous customer service experience
- Technical experience operating a cash register
Additional Notes & Responsibilities
- Act a back-up or substitute for other Scrap Exchange Staff, as needed.
- Assist with processing materials, as needed.
- Stock and reset the store, in conjunction with other staff, as needed.
- Maintain, organize, and clean areas as assigned.
The Scrap Exchange actively promotes an environment of respect, diversity, equity, and inclusion. We support all employees regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, age, race, ethnic origin, color, religion, national origin, creed, marital status, disabled veteran status, or the presence of any sensory, mental, and/or physical disability that does not inhibit the performance of the specific core tasks of this position.