Executive Director, The Scrap Exchange
The Scrap Exchange is seeking an enthusiastic and passionate leader to deliver on the mission and vision to promote creativity, environmental awareness, and community through reuse. For over 30 years The Scrap Exchange has provided the Durham community with a sustainable supply of high-quality, low-cost materials for artists, educators, and other creative individuals. The Scrap Exchange has received several local and national awards throughout its history and continues to find more ways to support the community with innovative programs and services.
The ideal Executive Director candidate will use a strategic mindset to drive the future success of the company by aligning teams under one vision and having a strong commitment to the mission and the community. With responsibility for all program areas, this candidate will execute all areas of need for the organization including management in the following areas: fiscal, operational, program development, community relations, and board relations. Using their existing skillset, the Executive Director will continue to build and grow a $2+ million-dollar multi-program operation and expand its reach.
Deliver on The Scrap Exchange’s mission to promote creativity, environmental awareness, and community through reuse. Model reuse to limit waste and landfill waste to be recycled and meet community needs, generate revenue and income and support its creative use.
Develop the full potential of The Scrap Exchanges’ many programs and services including the Scrap Exchange Shop; Scrap Thrift; Creative Arts Programming; Reuse Arts District (RAD); and the development of affordable housing.
Develop, promote, and deliver an innovative portfolio of programs in accordance with the strategic plan, organizational goals, and objectives.
Be a dynamic, visible community leader, building collaborative and trusting relationships with community partners including clients and customers, government, business, and other nonprofit organizations.
Foster a diverse, energized, and exciting workplace that reflects the community in which it works.
Develop strong teams of staff and volunteers to promote effective program execution and individual professional growth and job satisfaction.
Partner with the Board of Directors to continue to develop and fulfill the full promise of The Scrap Exchange. Keeps Board informed on management and operations.
Raise The Scrap Exchange profile locally, regionally, statewide, and nationally.
Management and Operations
Effectively execute and manage The Scrap Exchange business strategy. Ensure delivery of results-oriented effective programs and services. Oversee a diverse and multi-faceted flow of revenue to fund various programs and activities.
Be an active member of the Cascade Alliance. Partner with other national reuse organizations and foster the networks’ growth. Use the Alliance to deliver best practices and innovations to The Scrap Exchange and its workforce.
Develop and maintain a strong dedicated management team to successfully deliver innovative programs and services.
Establish a set of metrics and management performance standards to review, measure and understand organizational performance and effectiveness.
Provide a results-oriented work environment with applicable workplace policies, and procedures for an effective, happy, and productive work environment. Earn the respect of staff, volunteers, the Board, customers, and community members.
Develop an annual budget, in cooperation with the Board’s Finance Committee, and ensure fiscal responsibility and security.
Ensure high-quality program delivery, evaluation, and reporting systems that promote effective utilization of personnel and financial resources.
Promulgate the mission and vision of The Scrap Exchange to the community. Build awareness and support for our products and services. Review community needs and determine areas for the expansion in community collaboration and services.
Develop and implement a plan to expand relationships and partnerships, partnering with other community organizations in addressing community needs.
Lead organizational fundraising activities, including annual and major gift development, grant writing, and special events.
Develop diversified funding streams and significant philanthropic investments in The Scrap Exchange’s future.
Position The Scrap Exchange as a major community participant and steward in the economic development and health of Durham County.
- Create a strategic organizational plan and overall budget annually.
- Maintain a climate that attracts and retains a talented and diverse staff
- Create and maintain relationships with individuals and organizations to facilitate the success of the organization’s financial future
- Prepare agendas, reports, and materials for board meetings
- Set direction, gain alignment, and secure the commitment of staff, board, and key stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively lead and manage change as we continue to grow and develop.
- Bachelor’s degree in management/business administration or other related majors is required.
- A Master’s degree in business or other related majors is preferred.
- 7 or more years of progressively increasing senior leadership experience in the nonprofit/social enterprise sector or other relatable fields are required.
- Experience working in reuse, environment sustainability, the arts, or community development, preferred.
- Previous experience working with a governing board of directors is preferred.
- Successful fundraising and development experience.
- Experience in large-scale program development.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Strong financial acumen and proven track record growing programs and services.
- Understanding and strong advocacy for creative reuse.
Ideal Candidates should possess
- Enthusiasm and excitement about The Scrap Exchange’s mission, vision, and set of programs and services.
- Excellent communication and representational skills with the ability to tell The Scrap Exchange story, build rapport and trust, and grow community relationships.
- A proven team-building, empowering leadership style with a track record of building and maintaining strong working relationships with internal (staff, volunteer, and Board) and external (customer, partner organizations, community leaders, and donor) stakeholders.
- Experience with the management or oversight of a comparably multi-program organization with similar sized budget and staff.
- Active member and/or participant in the Durham and/or Triangle (North Carolina) community, preferred.
The Scrap Exchange is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding employees through a comprehensive package that includes a competitive salary, potential bonus incentives based on performance; professional development opportunities; and a comprehensive benefits package.
The Scrap Exchange is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Scrap Exchange is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where all associates have the opportunity to achieve their highest potential.